The Commuter v. the Dorm-er Life

A commuter’s college experience is often different than that of a student who dorms on campus. While one interview with a student who is a commuter will not paint the entire picture, an interview with Dominican College student, Jarisa Marte, will shed some light on her experiences as a commuter. Jarisa, 20, has been a commuter at Dominican College for three years, and claims that a commuters’ social life is entirely different.

Question 1: How far is your commute?

Jarisa: about 25-30 minutes.

Question 2: How is the traffic when coming to school?

Jarisa: Not entirely bad when I go, but after rush hour it’s crazy getting home around 4:30.

Question 3: Are you a member of any clubs at Dominican College?

Jarisa: No

Question 4: Why is that?

Jarisa: I don’t really have the time.

Question 5: Do you ever find yourself staying after school?

Jarisa: Yes, but hardly every day.

Question 6: When do you find yourself staying later than you have to?

Jarisa: Usually to hang out with friends more than actually studying.

Question 7: What are some activities that you enjoy out of school?

Jarisa: I love painting, reading, nature walks

Question 8: Where do you prefer to hang out with friends?

Jarisa: For class friends, usually on campus, but for my really close friends, we usually meet up to go out to Nyack and eat and shop. Also, at my house.

Question 9: Do you think commuters have a different experience than students who dorm? And if so, why?

Jarisa: Yes, and I think it’s because we have to plan out most of our week differently. We just can’t roll out of bed and head to class. We have to plan the drive to and from, budget gas and food money, carry everything we might possibly need around to not have to drive back home throughout the day. Also, I prefer going to class and going home right after, so it’s difficult making friends.

Question 10: Who do you think has it better?

Jarisa: People who dorm. When classes are late or very spread out it’s really a huge inconvenience and most ‘dorming’ people don’t really have to deal with being around campus for extended periods of time, waiting for their next class to start, just so they don’t have to drive home. Also, meeting with professors on days that I don’t have to be on campus is also something dorm people don’t have to do.