Interview

For this weeks assignment, I have decided to interview my roommate, who is a baseball player here at Dominican. When interviewing him I really wanted to get the feel for what is it like to be a student athlete here. 

Dominican was a school he chose over others, because he believed it was the best fit for him. He saw himself as being a key part of the team and financially it was all a good fit for him. Many see it as a challenge to play sports in college, but roommate decided to keep playing because for his love of the game. He doesn’t mind the extra challenges it sometimes may bring to him.

According to my roommate, games and practices don’t interfere too much with class. In the fall, no player is allowed to miss class for practice and also in the spring players are not allowed to miss class practice. That changes when there are games however. A player is allowed to miss class for a game, as their teachers will receive emails from the coaches excusing them.

As for study hall here, student athletes are required to have it. It is built it to their schedule almost as a extra class. It can be in any room or any day, depending on the student. For example, my roommate has study hall on Monday and Wednesday in Casey 101. It is deferent for other players, depending on how their classes are set up.

When making schedules players have base it around the practice and game schedule. In the fall coaches are more relaxed with missing practice so if you have to make a class at practice time you can. It is not huge deal in the fall missing practice for class, but for the most part you do not want to take any classes after 3. In the spring, the same goes as you try to make your classes end before 3. Coaches try to make sure during the spring you don’t take any classes after 3 unlike the fall unless it is required. 

Practices are typically 2-3 hours depending on the type of practice. Days they scrimmage, those will be longer practices.  During the fall practices are usually 5 days week with two off and during the spring games and practice are usually 6 days a week with one off day.  There are also mandatory workouts during the fall which consist of workouts 4 days a week after practice. 

When players miss meals for games, they are given money. For each meal missed they are given 10 dollars. 

During the season, my roommate said it does get a little hectic with school work. Game days it is tough to get work done because they often get home late. Time management is important he said, for everyone to be on top of their work and not fall behind. It challenging at times, but it is all part of being a student athlete, being a student comes first.