These are my Top 10 Most Interesting Food-Allergy Facts!
- Individuals can have an allergy to any kind of food. However, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts (which are almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts), wheat, soy, fish, and shellfish account for 90% of all food allergies.
- Children often outgrow allergies to milk, soy, wheat, and egg.
- Food intolerances are not necessarily life-threatening, and a problem related to the digestive system. Food allergies affect the immune system and whole body, and are life-threatening.
- The severity of an allergic reaction cannot be determined by previous reactions. Just because the last reaction was only a couple hives and trouble breathing, the next reaction could be anything from hives to anaphylaxis.
- Allergic reactions can occur from airborne exposure to dust or cooking fumes.
- Unfortunately, there is no way to cure food allergies. It is best to just avoid allergen all together.
- The smallest amount of an allergen can cause a reaction.
- Children with food allergy are 2-4 times more likely to have other related conditions such as asthma and other allergies, compared with children without food allergies.
- A two-pack of Epi-pens costs about $600 (without insurance). About eight years ago, a two-pack only costed about $100!
- Some people can suffer from exercise-induced allergic reactions. Exercising too soon after eating certain food can give you an allergic reaction. To prevent this, eat a couple hours before exercising.