Based on my previous writing you can probably tell I have a big interest in live entertainment, specifically the theatre industry. The two companies I will be looking at today are Broadway.com and Playbill. I will be looking at their twitter accounts in specific. I feel like the voice of Broadway.com is different than Playbill but also very similar. The way they speak and engage with their audience is a little more casual, though being a news outlet they are also quote tweeting things, poking fun at certain theatre niches and also updating 24/7 about anything that has to do with theatre. Playbill on the other end is a little more professional with their twitter, I also noticed they seem to break more news versus Broadway.com they also seem to though engage with their social media followers by updating them with the news they want, they seem to not tweet specific people or tend to make humor when it comes to their social media, probably trying to be a more professional clean cut company.

I feel like broadway.com audience is a lot more younger than the Playbill’s audience. I think that’s because of some of their more nuance sort of tweeting, Playbills is definitely a older audience that’s more interested in hard news rather than gossiping.  The primary purpose for Broadway.com’s is to bring more traction to their website for people to buy tickets specifically from them. Broadway.com sells tickets to shows and has many competitors so in their mindset by forming a connection with people on social media would make people like their brand and when choosing to purchase tickets for a show. Playbills purpose is to come off as a “higher class” sort of brand, in a world where there is so much gossip and “Fake news” Playbill markets themselves as branding themselves with facts and facts only.

A specific tweet like this from playbill is very https://twitter.com/playbill/status/1455276461506678790?s=20 engaging with there audience. Its not specifically tweeting at the people featured in the audience, because they still want to seem like they’re more respectable than that but they are showcasing some of their real followers, a perfect tweet to me! A tweet from broadway.com that I think is perfect for this case is https://twitter.com/broadwaycom/status/1197193412363128832?s=20 it is using the popular meme “im going to tell my kids this was ___” where you put something that is niche as the description and they used it with the popular movie-musical adaption of Legally Blonde which has a big fan following, this tweet also went semi-viral with more likes than usual. That’s what made it more successful.

I think both Playbill and broadway.com do a good job of creating a bond with their audiences and being reliable with their news but I happen to think broadway.com does a better job maintaining their social media status. They seem to have a more on the nose social media team who must be apart of a younger age demographic who know how to use twitter and their social medias correctly.