Uncategorized

Want to get Organized?

Do you ever just look at your desk and shake your head?

There’s a calendar still sitting on December 2014, 30 sticky notes with different tasks and lists, last week’s “missing” homework, some paperwork you haven’t found in years, 4 textbooks open with sheets of notes scrambled all around, 4 pencils, 7 pens, your favorite necklace you haven’t seen in months, and your first cell phone from sixth grade.

I used to be like this…and honestly, I’m still like this sometimes. Sometimes there’s lots of stress and you can’t help but have things everywhere. Sometimes it’s finals and you need everything in front of you in an organized mess. That is totally fine, but you also do need to get to organizing it. Once you start organizing, you’ll see a change…a change in the room, yes. But also a change in you. I know I feel very accomplished when I’m organized and I’m sure you will as well. And a perk of organization that very many people don’t know (shhh, don’t tell anyone. Let’s keep this between us), people think you have your life together and all sorted out. It’s a great disguise.

Getting organized isn’t as difficult or intimidating as it sounds. It’s actually very easy, I promise. I’ll even outline it for you.

Step 1: Clear out your desk, your purse, your backpack, your car, anywhere where you have extra things lying around.

Step 2: Make piles. The most basic of piles is best, so let’s go with Keep and Garbage…and hopefully your Garbage pile is larger than your Keep pile.

Step 3: Make more piles! With your Keep pile set, create more piles. Things to Stay Out, things to File Away, things to Go to Mom’s, etc. Whatever piles float your boats.

• I have Ambulance & Training, Financial Aid & School, High School, Pictures, and Other. Then I have a box sitting on my shelf filled with nicknacks, from figurines to old jewelry, etc. Hey, don’t judge. At least it’s clean!

Storage boxes in my room
    Storage boxes in my room

Step 4: Go shopping (my favorite step). Go to Kmart, Target, TJ Maxx (my

favorite), Walmart, anywhere you can get storage. If you don’t like the look of your typical file cabinets or paper storage bins, buy boxes (scroll around and you’ll get tons of ideas!)! My house it littered with them. You can get them in any color, any design. They’re so much fun and add decor
to your house! Get folders to further organize the inside of your boxes. It doesn’t even look like you’re storing ugly papers and things! You can even leave them on the floor. Stack a couple on top of each other and you have created

• I got my boxes from TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Home Goods, as well as the majority of the furniture and decor I got for my room when I was redesigning it. They are great places that actually have great prices, so don’t forget to check there before you buy anything. Ta da!

Step 5: Fill those storage containers! Don’t be shy!

Maybe you’ve gotten a few boxes to match the colors of your room. You can leave them on the floor, put them on some shelves, or even shove them under your bed. That’s the beauty behind them. They act as decor and also as storage. You can’t go

Storage box on a shelf in my room
Storage box on a shelf in my room

wrong with them.

Congratulations! Your house is now more organized than it was a couple hours ago! That wasn’t too difficult, was it? Don’t you feel better? Accomplished? Clean, even? Now go have fun knowing that your desk or room or whatever we just organized is now clean, tidy, and pretty 🙂

Hover-Facebook-icon Active-Twitter-icon Unknown Active-YouTube-icon Active-Pinterest-icon Active-LinkedIn-icon