Required New Media Apps this Week:
Using new media and reporting in current times, requires you to be both a reporter and photographer at times. This week you will need an Instagram account, so if you have not done so already, create an Instagram account. If you are new to Instagram, you should find helpful Mashable’s Beginners Guide to Instagram.
Required Readings this Week:
How will anyone ever know if you violate proprietary material? Content ID and other software crawls the Internet looking for copyright infringement.
To determine whether you are within fair use, the law calls for a balanced application of these four factors:
- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
- the nature of the copyrighted work;
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
These four factors come directly from the fair use provision, Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act. Laws regarding screenshots are ambiguous, but generally fall under fair use. Free stock photographs are not subject to fair use rules.
Take a look at some of the best Instagram photographers from 2014. Attempt to view their images through their artistic eye. Then examine the best photojournalists on Instagram. Consider identifying and following some photographers on Instagram who will help you cover your beat.
Please, whatever you do as a reporter, do post pictures of food, duck face selfies, or any of these other Instagram faux pas.
Lab Assignments (to be completed prior to 2:00 PM on Thurs, March 9th)
- As indicated at the top of this week you will need an Instagram account, so if you have not done so already, create an Instagram account. If you are new to Instagram, you should find helpful Mashable’s Beginners Guide to Instagram.
- Follow me on Instagram. I will follow you in return so I may see your work for this class.
- Please create a new post or page (your decision) on your class website. Locate three photos for your new post related to your beat where the pictures substantially tell the story. You should (a) create a title for the picture and place this title above each picture, and (b) write a few sentences beneath each picture to provide any further information your audience should know.
Lab Assignments for March 23rd
- On your website, I would like you to “categorize” your social media posts for this course. The result will be a navigational menu item that contains a dropdown box.
1. On your dashboard, go to POSTS>>CATEGORIES>>create a name such as SOCIAL MEDIA>>create a slug such as SOCIALMEDIA>>ADD A NEW CATEGORY
2. On your dashboard, go to APPEARANCE>>MENU>>CATEGORIES>>VIEW ALL>>tick box SOCIAL MEDIA>>ADD TO MENU>>SAVE MENU
3. On your dashboard, go to APPEARANCE>>MENU>>find your social media posts and/or pages and use the tick box>>ADD TO MENU>>then place the social media posts and pages beneath your newly created SOCIAL MEDIA category, drag your social media posts and/or pages slightly to the right so they will appear as a dropdown menu>>SAVE MENU